Make a excellent party food! Simply prepare the fillings ahead of time and lay them out attractively in separate bowls or on one large platter on the table. Give your guests a little guidance on how to prepare sushi cones and then let them make their own, encouraging them to experiment with combinations of fillings.
- 5 cups ( 25 oz fl/ 780 g) Sushi rice (See How to prepare Sushi Rice here!).
- 20 Nori sheets, halved.
- Wasabi paste.
- Salmon or tuna, minced or cut into 3/8 x 3/8 x 3 inch (1 x 1 x 7.5 cm) sticks.
- Jumbo shrimp, cooked, shelled, veins and tails removed.
- Unagi eel fillets, cut into 3/8 x 3/8 x 3 inch (1 x 1 x 7.5 cm) sticks.
- Sea urchin or salmon roe.
- Cooked or smoked fish cut into 3/8 x 3/8 x 3 inch (1 x 1 x 7.5 cm) sticks.
- Omelette, cut into 3-inch-long (7.5 cm) strips.
- Cucumbers, cut into 3-inch-long (7.5 cm) lengths, the finely sliced lengthwise.
- Avocado slices.
- Sliced or torn lettuce leaves.
- Blanched vegetables such as asparagus, snow peas (mange-touts), sliced onion and carrot.
- White sesame seeds.
- Scallions (shallots/spring onions) or chives, finely sliced.
- Gari (pickled ginger slices)
- Soy sauce
- Wasabi paste
- Mayonnaise (or mix a little wasabi and lemon juice with mayonnaise to make wasabi mayonnaise.)
Serve with individual bowls of side dishes, soy sauce and gari, and rice.
Form the sushi rice into balls the size of a Ping-pong balls or simply serve it in a bowl, along with a spoon for serving. Keep the spoon in a small container of water so the rice does not stick to it.
- Pick up a sheet of nori and hold it flat in your left hand, rough-side up. Take a spoonful of rice and place oblong ball of rice on left side of nori.
- Flatten out rice and make a groove for other ingredients. With a small spoon, wipe a little wasabi along rice. Add filling or fillings of choice.
- Fold near corner of nori sheet over filling to make a pointed end.
- Use fingers to roll nori into a cone shape. Grasp nori to seal roll.